Under this little experiment I can not eat out, partake in food a friend serves at a gathering, or eat at my friend's upcoming wedding. This is not feasible. It makes me a bit of a social outcast, and makes me want to forget the whole thing. I'm not going to forget the whole thing, however, so what am I to do?
Yesterday I talked long and hard with my sister, and then my parents. I don't want to quit, and my family is being supportive, but they also think some modifications need to be made. My parents and I came up with this: during the week I follow my criteria, on the weekends I am allowed 2 meals that are criteria-free. If during the week there is something that I have to partake in (unlikely, but if my boss invites me to dinner or something...) this would take place of the weekend dinner. I don't have to have to use a dinner or lunch each weekend, but they are there for social engagements and what not.
I think this is an acceptable modification, and without it, it's likely in two weeks this whole thing would be shot - conscious be damned. To those who might think I'm cheapening the process, I simply say: you try it.
In other news: even though my meat and produce is more expensive than before, I'm actually saving money so far because I'm buying so much less pre-packaged and restaurant meals (granted I never used to buy off the dollar menu, anyway, so this may not hold true for everyone).
2 comments:
We have a friend who is vegan, but will partake in non-vegan food that others prepare (like cookies) on occasion. We call it being free-gan since its free and his money is not supporting the inhumane treatment of animals. That said, he does not do this often and is more than likely to bring his own food when we share meals.
I think what you are doing is great. Even if you have to make some adjustments, you'll still be lessening your negative impact.
free-gan, awesome!
Post a Comment