Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Week Done!

The first week ends today, and so far I've survived! Let's take stock of how the week's gone:

Shopping has become a bit of a hassel, but I'm sure as I discover which brands I can eat and figure out my staple items it will become painless. The good news is I've found tortilla chips that I can eat (very good as I made 7 pints of salsa), the bad news is the label "all natural foods" means virtually nothing because citrus acid, xanthium gum, and natural flavors are, apparently, all natural. They do not, however, necessarily meet my criteria; citrus acid and natural flavors might be okay, if I can trace their source. I have eased off the local only fruits/veggies (since that is not my main concern, and I felt I was loosing focus), but for produce, I go first to the farmer's market, then to the grocery store to with most Missouri and Illinois "homegrown" produce, then to the grocery store with the biggest selection of organic foods. While this is preferable to going all winter without fresh fruit or going my entire life without citrus fruits, it is somewhat time consuming. Add to that the amount of time it takes me to read all ingredients for any other food - bread (I've yet to find a store-bought bread I can buy), pasta, ice cream, tortilla chips, etc and my grocery shopping takes hours.

So the question is, is it worth it? So far, I think so. I've had my moments of wanting to quit, and yesterday I desperately wanted McDonald's french fries, but so far it's pretty easy.

No comments: